What is dimethyl silicone?
Dimethyl silicone is omnipresent in our daily life. To better understand it, let’s take a look at its definition at the start: Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS), also known as dimethylpolysiloxane or dimethicone, is a silicone polymer with a wide variety of uses, from cosmetics to industrial lubrication.
What are the popular applications?
Dimethyl silicone has great properties such as versatility, cost-effectiveness, and other unique properties. It stands out in various industries and applications. It can used as:
- Insulation materials: Dimethyl silicone can provide a protective layer between electrical components, which helps provent electrical leakage. Besides, in the production process of glass and ceramics, people tend to use dimethyl silicone to dip-coat the glass and ceramics so as to achieve good insulation, dustproofing and mildew-proofing properties.
- Release agents: When we use dimethyl silicone as release agents, it will form a resin film on the surface of the production mold and the surface is non-stick. So it’s very easy to release molded products from the molds. Moreover, it also makes the product surface clean and smooth.
- Casting resin: This can be applied in metal casting, paper making, food processing and other processes.
- Lubricants:When we use dimethyl silicone as a lubricant, it will help reduce friction and enhance good performance and durability.
- Polishing agents: People always like to add Dimethyl silicone as a gloss agents to have a bright, glossy finishes of good adhesion.
- Defoaming agents: Another important application of dimethyl silicone is defoaming agents. Its applications include petroleum and chemical industry, food industry, medical and pharmaceutical industry, textile industry and so on. It does a great job in foam control and foam elimination by preventing excessive foaming during production processes, either act as an additive or as a “band”. Its low surface tension and insolubility in polar substances have played an important role as a defoaming agent.
- Moisture-proof fillers: People use dimethyl silicone as a moisture-proof filler where moisture resistance is necessary. Three top properities, hydrophobic nature, thermal stability, and resistance to breakdown, have made it a trustworthy choice in protecting sensitive components from moisture damage.
- Thinning agents
Is dimethyl silicone safe?
Many global experts consider Dimethyl silicone safe for humans. With large molecules, it’s difficult for it to be absorbed through the skin. And its great properities as well as odorless & colorless characteristics make it an effective choice in various industries and applications, like cosmetics, medical industry etc.
China’s dimethyl silicone oil
Organic silicone has been included in the strategic emerging industry of China since 2012. And later on multiple industrial policies are rolled out to support further development of the industry.
With the development of China’s economy and the continuous maturity of dimethylpolysiloxane industry technology, the silicone industry has also developped rapidly. Driven by the rapid development of industries such as semiconductors, new energy, and 5G in recent years, the production and demand of organic silicon have also been continuously increasing. According to statistical data, China’s organic silicon production increased from 0.9 million tons in 2016 to 1.39 million tons in 2021.
China’s silicone products mainly include silicone rubber, silicone oil, silicone resin, and silane coupling agents. Among which silicone rubber has the largest market share. And silicone oil is the second largest product category in the consumption structure of silicone products taking up approximately 22.0%.
Compared to global market, the growth rate of organic silicon deep processing products in the Chinese market is fast. In 2019, China’s silicon oil production was 310000 tons, with a demand of approximately 280000 tons. According to professional estimates, the silicon oil production will reach 420000 tons, with a demand of 370000 tons by 2024. And the utilization rate of silicone oil in China has steadily increased.
SioResin has committed to research and development of dimethyl silicone oil for over ten years. We have great expertise, professional R&D，strict standard and advanced production lines. And we are always ready to establish a longterm winwin relationship with you. We provide customized solutions as well.
If you want to find an efficient and cost-effective solution, contact our support team now at: email@example.com